Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Poles v Swedes, 11k  (Read 229 times)

RobAustin

• Yeoman
    • View Profile
Re: Poles v Swedes, 11k
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 02:41:15 AM »
Here is a link to an article on Kircholm, which has a better description than I have seen elsewhere and several interesting events.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tfmCIUreYW7XQ5CR7RzS1rMrhKcuLFpP

It is pretty old, but more detailed than anything else I've seen. Also, the map with the deployment makes a lot more sense than any of the more modern maps I've seen.

alasdair

• TWZ Team
  • Musketeers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2019, 08:30:18 PM »
Thanks will need to put in some work to properly define ferocious, another way would be to make the hussars exceptional, lose ferocious  but that might make them too good, poles are playing at Britcon so hopefully will get a better look

Texas Rebel

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2019, 01:28:01 AM »
The problem in ReG is that there is no sense of disorder. Even the KaB tests for friends routing and for being burst through will not really make the foot an easier target ...

Maybe increase the causes for being Nervous, not just (as currently) Foot TuGs in a Flank Sector?

Also :
  1) Foot TuGs without Rear Support (unless in Barricades)?
  2) Any TuG with an enemy TuG within charge reach in and facing their flank or rear?
  3) Any TuG that just lost a KaB test (until the end of the next turn)?

Just thoughts ...

alasdair

• TWZ Team
  • Musketeers
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2019, 06:02:38 PM »
We went this way originally but got to fiddly, we have a polish army playing at Britcon so will see what the interactions work like, but please keep offering solutions

RobAustin

• Yeoman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2019, 06:58:41 PM »
One thought I had was akin to one of Bob's. That is, a unit that has a Skull or S rolled on it for a KaB test is Nervous for the remainder of the current and the next turn, or until an action is spent to recover or something. This kinda goes against the theory established in MeG, but lacking rank qualifiers for bonuses, it seems a solution.

RobAustin

• Yeoman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2019, 07:32:55 PM »
Thanks will need to put in some work to properly define ferocious, another way would be to make the hussars exceptional, lose ferocious  but that might make them too good, poles are playing at Britcon so hopefully will get a better look

If ferocious were not canceled by Pike, spear, etc. it would work.

alasdair

• TWZ Team
  • Musketeers
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2019, 08:05:17 PM »
yes could be a good shout, I am nervous about the rank idea but still want to get the balance right, and to be fair want to be careful not to right a set of rules based around a couple of battles, so far we have had polish cavalry destroying most cavalry in front of them, dominating infantry not so sure as it is a polish hussar will be down at impact, then up in melee ve average pike and shot (superior, mpi & ferocious) but still want to get it right

RobAustin

• Yeoman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2019, 09:26:06 PM »
yes could be a good shout, I am nervous about the rank idea but still want to get the balance right, and to be fair want to be careful not to right a set of rules based around a couple of battles, so far we have had polish cavalry destroying most cavalry in front of them, dominating infantry not so sure as it is a polish hussar will be down at impact, then up in melee ve average pike and shot (superior, mpi & ferocious) but still want to get it right

Yeah, it is actually the down in impact and up in melee that feels odd. As mentioned previously, they seemed to charge repeatedly until they could break in, whereas the factors as they are promote staying in melee. But in any case, that would be OK against a fresh pike unit of pretty much any sort. IT is the inability to reduce pike effectiveness by attrition or any other means that really sorta ruins the interaction, in my opinion.

RobAustin

• Yeoman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2019, 09:28:22 PM »
Another crazy thought I had was that when Charging Lancers, Charging Pistols or any Ferocious cavalry charge foot, the foot take a KaB test. On a Skull they go nervous and remain so until they are not in combat.

Texas Rebel

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2019, 04:22:11 AM »
when Charging Lancers, Charging Pistols or any Ferocious cavalry charge foot, the foot take a KaB test. On a Skull they go nervous and remain so until they are not in combat.

Very interesting idea, although this would be devastating if failed.

Effects of being Nervous :
     1) Gives a +2 Combat Claim to opponent in Charge & Melee Combat.
     2) Shooting Dice downgraded.
     3) KaB test up a color.

although it would certainly encourage Rear Support (down two colors)!  A General in Line of Command modifier would be helpful as well, if added.

alasdair

• TWZ Team
  • Musketeers
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2019, 09:51:11 AM »
Will look at all these, we must remember though that during this period cavalry were not going out of their way to charge pike and shot generally so must be careful not to overstate this case.

RobAustin

• Yeoman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2019, 09:29:41 PM »
Will look at all these, we must remember though that during this period cavalry were not going out of their way to charge pike and shot generally so must be careful not to overstate this case.

Agreed. But I think we all agree that damaged pike-armed units need to be a bit more vulnerable.

alasdair

• TWZ Team
  • Musketeers
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2019, 01:59:07 PM »
Yeah , point taken