Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cossack Vs Charles V in Italy  (Read 165 times)

martymagnificent

• Yeoman
    • View Profile
Cossack Vs Charles V in Italy
« on: April 26, 2019, 11:45:21 PM »
Had another try last night. An out of period match up this time with mid 17th Vs Mid 16th Century. In spite of a few issues we used the new list generator. The Cossacks were the same list a last time (6x6 base cavalry (2 superiors), 3 P and S units ad 4x8 base musket units) but I was also able to add a couple of units of artillery. Paul R ran 3 gendarmes (one superior), 1 Celadas, 1 mounted arqubusiers, 2 Keils, 2 Colunelas, 3 Arqubusiers and medium artillery.

We had a secure flank and a line of terrain running down the middle of the table. Paul deployed his whole army on a narrow front between these. I attempted a rather fruitless flank march on Paul's vacant flank while he launched an immediate assault with his Gendarmes. The superior ones managed to destroy both units of Cossack artillery and ride down a unit of musketeers before eventually succumbing to casualties. The other 2 units found themselves confronted by P and S units and were gradually worn down. The keils plodded forward in support but never quite got there. The Colunellas teamed up on a Cossack foot unit and crushed it with ease. On the other flank most of the Cossack cavalry dismounted to advance through terrain and pour fire in to the Arqubusiers trying to hold the Spanish flank. They succeeded in taking out a couple of units. We ran out of time without a decisive result (We had played for over 3 hours and would have needed a fair bit more time to finish).

I am coming around to the current classification of the Cossack cavalry. LFP is not as bad as I feared it might be when it is on a firearm. I'm starting to suspect that 14K is probably too many points, if nothing else I feel it distorts the generals pricing ( I can see no reason why an army with Tribal commanders wouldn't run the maximum generals allowed at this points total). I also suspect it could lead to a fair few inconclusive games (hard to break an army with 15 units). I'm not sure the +2/+1 for mounted Vs loose is needed. Factors seem to blow out in some of these combats. I accept shock cavalry should beat loose infantry but I'm not sure that even the best ones should be at red and yellow +shatter! I think +1 in impact is probably enough.

Another fun game with lots of action, even if we didn't get a result

Martin
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 11:47:30 PM by martymagnificent »

craig.w

• Yeoman
    • View Profile
Re: Cossack Vs Charles V in Italy
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 11:12:10 AM »
I'm not sure if I'm misreading this but it looks like colunella is actually better than keil in melee in the latest QRS? Colunella gets an extra +1?

craig.w

• Yeoman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 11:16:31 AM »
I think that once the break point starts getting too much over 6 it can be a bit tough to get a result. Maybe for Swedes etc with quality troops it is ok, but I can easily get Russian up to 17 or 18  TUGs so it has a breakpoint of 9. That's a lot to break, even taking into account a couple of TUGs of artillery.

Also on artillery, they get two upgrades against poor, but other troops don't get any - is that a misprint?

martymagnificent

• Yeoman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 01:02:29 AM »
Yeah I brought up the shooting vs poor thing in another thread.

I'm not bothered by artillery getting upgraded twice but I would have thought AFP (HFP?) shooting should probably get an upgrade against them. I'd be concerned that otherwise we are going to see a ton of poor units easily dominating infantry firefights through sheer numbers.

Martin

Geoff

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 11:08:02 AM »
Why should artillery get an upgrade vs poor? Shrapnel/round shot does not care much about armour

martymagnificent

• Yeoman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 11:52:39 AM »
True but I assume base losses don't just mean dead. After all there is no real morale response to shooting or fighting so I assume the base  losses also reflect how well the unit is responding to been shot at. I would assume poor units would disintegrate more quickly under fire. Artillery fire could be a particular problem for unmotivated troops.

Martin

alasdair

• TWZ Team
  • Musketeers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 07:19:59 PM »
Absolutely right it is also about how units respond to fire, it should only be once anyway will be corrected in next qrs

alasdair

• TWZ Team
  • Musketeers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 07:21:20 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm misreading this but it looks like colunella is actually better than keil in melee in the latest QRS? Colunella gets an extra +1?

Thank you so much, yes I am hoping Devizes and Britcon sort out the points issue