Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Thoughts after another game  (Read 83 times)

martymagnificent

• Musketeers
    • View Profile
Thoughts after another game
« on: November 12, 2021, 09:57:22 PM »
Played Kitabatake Sonae against Italian Wars Spanish. Decisive win to the Japanese. Some rambling thoughts that occurred about the Japanese and ReG more generally

As stated in another thread I tend to agree that the Japanese lists are a little too 'special'. I also think this is a reflection of a tendency towards 'rules bloat' in ReG. There are just so many formations, characteristics, army traits, etc that it is difficult to keep track of, tends to slow the game (especially in the case of the casualty removal ones) and probably rather unnecessary. There needs to be a process of both paring these back and also having a look at the costs of the ones that are kept.

Bows are in a bit of an odd place. The lists now have a more unprotected so you are more likely to be shooting at green which means bow could actually be a bit of a bargain against some armies. If your opponent is, however, protected you are going to have a pretty minimal white dice effect. This is compounded by the inability of bow to cause push backs. It seems strange that pretty much no horse archer is HFP. This seemed particularly odd in the context of the game as the Spanish Jinetes are HFP javelin. Those guys will blow away any horse archer in the game, which I find hard to accept. The Samurai Sonae LFP bow is currently so ineffectual I'm not sure it needs to be represented. It also seems odd that protected is just as good against bow as fully armoured.

I still feel the re-introducing the white+ shooting level would help even out some of these issues (it really is an effectiveness 'cliff' between green and white at the moment). This would have the added bonus of making it possible to introduce an additional negative for shooting bow at armoured foot or heavily armoured mounted and would, perhaps, give some of the LFP weapons a reason to exist.

Martin

martymagnificent

• Musketeers
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts after another game
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 09:54:25 PM »
Played another game yesterday. Wei Sou Ming against Early Sultan's Ottoman. Played a bit over 3 hours and still some way from a finish (although both armies had lost a few units)

Confirmed what I already thought about some of the army traits. Great Men, Inspiring leader and Inspirational Icon is ridiculously good for 200 points (you will remove 2-3 wounds pretty much every turn of the game), slows the game significantly and should probably just be removed (along with many of the other army traits). The game already has a mechanism for wound removal it does not require multiple extra options to do so. On some of the others, 'Forced March' also strikes me as very good value (and unnecessary), it seems hard to understand why both 'lead from the front' and 'rash generals' is required (they are remarkably similar).

I understand that some of this is driven by a desire for chequerboard formations to matter but to give non-chequerboard armies something to make sure they aren't disadvantaged but I feel this is the wrong approach. As things stand it would be preferable for there to be no chequerboard (just assume it is going on within the TuG's in an abstract way) so we could do away with Great Men and Well Drilled. This would also have the advantage of simplicity.

We are still finding it hard to get a decisive result in a reasonable time (3-3 1/2) hours

Martin

craig.w

• Landsknect
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts after another game
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 05:22:56 AM »
Not that I've played many games lately, but not sure we need most of these new army characteristics and other things. Unless you are a regular player I think they will slow the game down (both by taking away hits, and more to remember/get wrong/look up rules) and take away the emphasis on generalship and instead give a fallback of a characteristic to help you out. Why not just work within the constraints of the existing rules and classifications? Reg and Meg already have more details than other sets, I don't really see the need for even more 'colour'.

I don't think they add much to the game, tbh, and probably detract from it, in my opinion.

Craig