Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Great North War Russian  (Read 97 times)

alasdair

• TWZ Team
  • Hussar
    • View Profile
Great North War Russian
« on: May 14, 2021, 05:52:59 PM »
So we have removed the compulsory poor (done the same with Chinese), the Russian are steady as well as resilient so powerful can someone with any of the new Helion Books tell me about their fire discipline as some old articles I read ages ago said it was poor, just wondering if they should be low fire power, steady resilient and low fire power would mean they stay around for a long time but dont destroy the enemy quickly, anyway any one with better knowledge of the Russians let me know your thoughts

nikgaukroger

• Reiter
    • View Profile
Re: Great North War Russian
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 06:33:39 PM »
Can't recall anything about them being bad. No doubt newly raised troops weren't good but then again that would apply to any nation.

I guess the newly reformed army right at the start of the GNW could be a bit ropey, but after a few years they're perfectly OK.
"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

alasdair

• TWZ Team
  • Hussar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 07:59:01 PM »
Cheers Nik, thats all I was after, just checking as with resilient and steady they are strong and i have removed the compulsory poor which made a more balanced list, that said see if the points system sorts it out I know James is bringing his to warfare.

bahdahbum

• Landsknect
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 03:28:55 PM »
The problem with russians always was : sources

I'll check if I find something about GNW

But for exemple, now that we have russian sources, we have new data on the russian army of the Napoleonic era and the picture is very different ! It is not the slow moving army that is depicted, but a disciplined army with the same command problems as the Austrians but also jaegers were not so bad, the line infantry had skirmishers and their shooting was hampered by too many different musket types but it got quickly better . Cossacks were usefull in light cavalry battle ..a very different picture so the fact that the russian GNW army would be better seems very possible

alasdair

• TWZ Team
  • Hussar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 03:37:55 PM »
Thank you

bahdahbum

• Landsknect
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 07:41:05 PM »